- The presence of a global audience online makes it easier to interact with existing and potential customers.
- It costs significantly less to put together a digital marketing strategy.
- Most importantly, digital marketing yields a significantly higher ROI than any form of traditional marketing. Just take a look at this social media influencer and email marketing stats.
1. FoodIf someone is planning a house party or trying to update their culinary expertise, they go online for inspiration.
People’s love for food usually stems from a personal place. Perhaps, a recipe their grandmother used to cook, or the first meal they prepared with their child. Either way, they are usually fiercely passionate about whatever foods and recipes they love. And by extension, they have a love for the brands that make them. Here’s what food companies do to keep their audience happy and the revenue flowing.
How-to video contentForget the days of recipe cards and black and white texts in a book. People no longer want to be told how to do it, they want to be shown how. That is why the go-to media type for content curation in this industry is visual media. These formats draw the viewer in and make them feel whatever kind of emotion you want them to. Take a look at these video trends that are sure to continue into 2018. Plus, video content performs best on social media channels like Facebook and Instagram. Snapchat, Pinterest, and of course, Youtube also make the list. So if social media isn’t a part of your brand’s digital marketing strategy, it should be.
2. Fitness and NutritionThe increasing awareness of holistic health has contributed to boosting the fitness and nutrition industry’s revenue. The industry generates about $80 billion annually. It also posts a compound annual growth rate (CAGR) of 4.3 percent. According to this report, Australians alone spend about $8.5 billion annually in this sector.
Most fitness businesses and social media fitness influencers in this industry use most of the same platforms as those in the food industry. And there’s a good reason why – ROI from digital marketing is in the numbers. For instance, about 75% of Instagram users take action after viewing an ad on the platform. Liam Thompson, a personal trainer also claimed that it cost him a maximum of $100 on Facebook ads to get clients with an average revenue value of £346.
- Highly actionable content
- Highly shareable content
- User-generated content
3. EntertainmentThe inclusion of this industry needs little explanation. Content from this industry contributes largely to the way we think. It ignites global and domestic discussions around certain societal issues. Whether it’s music about (or for) a tragic event or movies inspired by hard-hitting global happenings, or a funny video that went viral, content from this industry tends to have one of the highest engagement rates. As a consequence, it has an equally high conversion rate. Little wonder the US media and entertainment industry’s digital ad spend has gone over $7.5 billion this year alone. Juggernauts like Netflix spend hundreds of millions of dollars annually on advertising and bring in revenue in billions of dollars every quarter. Also, Jungle Creations founder, Jamie Bolding claiming to be on track to hit an $8 million turnover for 2017.
- Create communities
- User approved content
- String your contents together as much as reasonable
- Tap into your network
4. RetailWith empires like Walmart, Macy’s, Amazon, and Alibaba eating up the world’s finished product sales volume, this list would be lackluster if we excluded the retail industry. In the US alone, the retail industry accounts for approximately two-thirds of the nation’s gross domestic product. It also accounts for about $25.3 trillion in global sales in 2016. Successful businesses in this sector have a few things in common that directly contribute to their digital marketing ROI.
Segmented email targetingOne thing retail businesses have in ever-increasing numbers is an email list. Email has proven to be the most effective channel for reaching out to their customers and site visitors in a personalized manner. With email, you can retarget those who have visited your site but didn’t purchase. Then, you can offer discounts to customers on products they browsed, alert your customers about new products on your inventory, etc.
Mobile-friendly marketingLike other industries, businesses here optimize their content, pages, and ads for mobile users. With mobile digital marketing strategies, you can target users when they are in your store or in select locations (geo-targeting). They also usually develop an app to assist mobile users to browse their site, purchase, leave reviews, etc.
Affiliate marketingBusinesses in this industry are the biggest utilizers of affiliate marketing strategies. Save a ton on your marketing budget by getting ordinary people to advertise your products to the world for a commission.
Prioritize social media engagementSuccessful retail businesses use social media to engage with their audience, announce deals and discounts, answer complaints. Social media is generally used to maintain a positive public perception of their brand. They do this via an official social media page and affiliate pages and online communities; social media is the most effective PR tool for any business.
5. HealthAt the slightest malfunction of the body system, what most people will do is go online to find out more information about their symptoms. People are increasingly relying on online information to make healthcare decisions. It makes sense that these medical experts and organizations should be the ones providing that information.
User-friendly websiteBuild a user-friendly, easy to navigate website. Content has to be properly arranged so that patients can easily navigate through it and find what they are looking for. It is estimated that a good flow of information and web copy can deliver up to 83 percent ROI for your company.
Catalog of actionable and inspiring informationSuccessful medical businesses prioritize content marketing, specifically with a blog. They provide a continuous stream of detailed information on various health conditions. From how to detect them early and how to treat them, medical blogs provide answers to frequently asked questions. This way patients receive constant value without having to visit the doctor.
Good SEO effortsSEO efforts are a must for every business in every industry. The medical industry owns 1 percent of all daily Google searches (that’s 35 million searches per day). Successful medical businesses center their content on relevant words and phrases their patients use in their queries. Use a keyword research tool to help you find the best-ranking terms your patients use to search for your kind of business. Use these on the relevant pages of your website to help drive organic traffic. Remember, the best content with the worst SEO is just a waste of good knowledge.
Active social media presence
Whether you’re in the top 5 industries or not, there’s a lot to be learned from the health, retail and entertainment industries that you can apply to your own digital marketing efforts. From understanding the importance of user-generated content to creating segmented, personalized emails, seeing ROI from digital marketing is within reach.